Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Bitterness


I found a little coffee house (actually a coffee stand with outdoor tables in front) this morning in NoHo called Independent Coffee. It seemed like a welcome discovery in the land of Starbucks and the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. Although I like Cafe Aroma, another independently owned cafe in the valley, I often get annoyed there by idiot script writers pitching their ideas loudly to producers so everyone else can hear how amazing they are. So I ordered a latte and grabbed a table. I looked around and said to myself "here's my new refuge in the valley." Then I took one sip and...wow...this coffee is...terrible. So damn bitter. I poured some sugar in then it became tolerable. I want to support independent cafes, but the latte tastes like warm milk in a dirty ashtray. I'll be ordering tea next time. I'm looking around and I hear writers pitching their ideas loudly here too, except they are younger than the forty something crowd at Cafe Aroma. I shook my head. Then I heard Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" coming from the sound system and I felt better.

No comments: